Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 am
All times are UTC + 0
How to improve FA2 performance?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:  How to improve FA2 performance?
Subject description: This goes for FinalSun too
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having trouble believing that FA2 runs no better on a new-ish 8th gen i7 while in 1152x864 resolution

(stretched to the max on a 1920x1080 monitor using DisplayChanger (you do the math on the resulting resolution))

than it does on an Intel Atom N270 while in 1024x576 on my old HP Mini.

Considering the fact that both RA2 and FA2 use only one thread of the CPU (if my observations from the Task Manager are anything to go by), this'd mean that the single-thread performance of today is no different than it was over a decade ago, meaning the only thing Intel has managed so far is simply add more threads&cores, and didn't increase their individual performance in over a decade.

That's my observation, in any case. If it's wrong please just say so and move on to my actual question:
Is there any way to make FA2 (and FinalSun by extension) work faster/better on higher resolutions?

I know high resolutions cripple performance, but there's no way my machine can run Unreal Engine/3D games like Renegade X, Portal, The Evil Within, Danganronpa (all three main games), War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron but can't run a map editor from two decades ago properly any higher than 576/720/864p.
Even OpenTTD (single-threaded, AFA Task Manager says) runs smooth on 1080p!

Last edited by TAK02 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Disable "Show building outline" in the options

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Disable "Show building outline" in the options

Just ran the old FA2 for RA2 (which doesn't have building outlines) on 1080p: slower than on 720p.
Also ran the FA2 for YR (outlines disabled) on 1080p: a bit faster than with, but still slow.

What I noticed is that the lag-spikes during map-scrolling increase the more Buildings are in the view-port.
It may be because of the map I'm currently viewing, tho.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FinalAlert/-Sun drawing code is subpar, not much you can do about it. It's known to lag or glitch out when rendering building outlines, overlays with no image, i.e. when drawing the overlay data in hex format, waypoints, or simply when the map view contains a lot of objects. Running it on a lower resolution helps.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe try a different OS... When I was on Windows 10 FA2 was pretty rubbish, now that I am on Linux mint with wine it seems to run a bit smoother...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon