Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:42 am
All times are UTC + 0
Command & Conquer Remaster Mission Selection Preview!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject:  Command & Conquer Remaster Mission Selection Preview!
Subject description: Select your destination!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gamescom 2019 is happening, and EA has no Command and Conquer team in that event. Ok, but on the internet, they are active. Jim Vessella, EA producer who is being responsible for all communications regarding the Command & Conquer Remaster and Red Alert 1 Remaster has posted a new progress report about the first project.

The games are not just being remastered, but they are also adding some quality of life features. In this specific progress report, Jim talks about the Mission Selection screen, which should allow you to choose the missions you want to play and play the paths that you did not select in your first try. Perhaps, it should even let you play the dinosaur missions straight from it. Here's his original post on reddit about it:

Quote:
Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

We’re nearing the completion of our second production milestone, and significant progress has been made over the past several weeks. The entire GDI Campaign is getting close to Alpha quality, including the ability to play through the campaign in succession with all the proper transitions. Items like the European Mission Map are currently getting remastered in 4k, which is giving the campaign a truly rich high definition experience. With the topic of campaign progression in mind, we wanted to share a preview of a new screen we’re introducing into the remasters - the Mission Selection screen.

The Mission Selection screen is a quality-of-life feature we wanted to add to the remasters, allowing players to more easily track their campaign progression and access all the remastered mission content. The screen serves as a hub for the progress you’ve made across both campaigns, highlighting which missions you’ve completed and the ones you still have yet to tackle. This is especially valuable for missions with alternate paths, such as GDI Mission 4 where there are three possible map variants. The screen will enable players to replay missions at ease, compared to the legacy titles which required players to remember manually saving their game during each mission. When campaign mission entries are selected, the screen will reinforce the world map progression, showcase the mission briefing, and provide an opportunity to watch the cinematics. In addition to campaign missions, the screen will also provide quick access to any expansion missions, and perhaps a few bonus missions players may be familiar with Smile

In terms of cosmetic design, the visual style is inspired by the classic Main Menu from the Gold edition, and shares similar elements as our remastered Sidebar. As with all the remastered content, our goal is to maintain an authentic approach to the menus, while of course enhancing them to take full advantage of higher resolution displays. You can expect this style to permeate throughout all the menu screens in Tiberian Dawn.

We’re eager to hear your feedback on both the functionality and cosmetic design of this screen, and thanks for your ongoing support and participation.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

Quality of life features like this is always welcomed. Let's be honest here, this is a good looking Mission Selection menu. It looks modern. Perhaps the map size could be increased, but even if it isn't, it still looks nice. I hope they also add in-game auto-saving features, not just for checkpoints but also to allow users to return on time up to at least 5 minutes when they fail, but that might be asking too much.

Share your opinions about it here.

Key Words: #News #CommandAndConquer #CommandAndConquerRemastered 

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Y GDI? Y no Nod in Kane's name?

Either way, looking good.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a fan of that TW style font tbh, but gorgeous art.

Quote:
Items like the European Mission Map are currently getting remastered in 4k
Can't wait for that!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

let me quote what i wrote there and Jim's answer
Quote:
As a C&C fan from the beginning in 1995, i must say i don't like it at all.It looks like a fancy colored menu for a childrens tablet game, with a lot of wasted space for big monitors.

The atmosphere of the original, with a rotating globe, a zoomed in europe/africa map, interactive tactical screen (when clicked on an arrow, it showed country specific trivia like military strength, captial city etc) is a lot more awe inspiring and unique than this rather standard menu with a picturebox, a textbox and a customized listbox. Basically some simple recolored standard windows controls put together in 5 minutes in a Visual Studio designer.

Just watch this: https://youtu.be/yz8nZt9cVVM?t=742 and compare that interactive animated mission selection with the bland static menu shown above.

I would have expected something like in TD but now with a 3D globe, vectorized or 3D graphics for the europe/africa maps, so it all scales perfect on different resolutions. Maybe also the option to zoom in on each arrow and actually see a simplified preview of the map you will be playing on, like a military commander controlling a satellite to zoom in on the topography of your next deployment area.

The mission selection itself was an adventure in TD. Now it's just a simple menu.

TD really pulled you into the Tiberian Dawn universe and you actually got the feeling of being the commander of a super modern tactical interface. Not a kid playing a computer game, but a real military tactician using a new technology to control your forces via a special interface that reduces the fight down to the essential stuff.

Such basic controls and menus get you out of the atmosphere the game should create and maintain throughout the entire campaign.

Quote:
Hi Lin_Kuei_Ominae, thanks for your passion around this. We agree and you'll still have the global map selection as part of the normal campaign flow. This screen is supplementary for the replay of missions and to track your progress. Cheers!

So this is not the main campaign mission selection, but an additional menu for replay purposes.  /me does a little dance

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The way I worded my post above can possibly give the wrong impression that it would be the mission selection screen as you play the campaign, while it is just a screen to replay the campaign missions. It doesn't replace the Europe/Africa map that you see as you progress in the campaign.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't play Dawn to much, and it's been a long time since I have played Dawn, but whats with the t-rex on the 4th button under "GDI Campaign"

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TD had a secret dino campaign where you were fighting against dinos.
Something like the "It came from Red Alert" ant-campaign in RA1.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I guess that makes since... I guess that means they are going to remake those missions and gfxs as well.

Is it known if this game is going to be 3d or 2d?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
Is it known if this game is going to be 3d or 2d?
Probably 2D, since they're using the original source for mechanics but adding a new rendering engine to output the graphics, as well as working with the team who did the StarCraft Remastered art.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm gonna start to repost this directly at every single upcoming news post about these Remasters, since I have to confirm on every single topic that it is a 3D game. And it won't be the first 3D remaster of Command & Conquer, since C&C64 already counts as one.

Quote:
Guys... this is really 3D. The rendering engine is from Petroglyph Games and it is known as Glyph engine.

For further info, check my first post at (not Jim Vessella's quote, but my comments after it):
https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=46919

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know its using parts of Glyph, but I don't know that means it needs to be 3D. I assumed they wouldn't be because that'd probably need extra code for projectiles and aircraft etc, right?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glyph is the rendering engine and it is a 3D rendering engine, so it will render 3D models.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Glyph is the rendering engine and it is a 3D rendering engine, so it will render 3D models.

or simple flat polygon which have a  texture with render of unit on it. Pre-rendered 3d.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
But Unity and UE4 render in 3D, and yet are used for 2D games. Infact quite a lot of "2D" games technically have 3D behind them for physics & perspective etc. Using the renderer of Glyph shouldn't mean it would need to be in 3D, as most of the "3Dness" would come from the collision, terrain system, projectile logic and so on. Maybe it could be some kind of hybrid but IDK.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Banshee wrote:
But Unity and UE4 render in 3D, and yet are used for 2D games. Infact quite a lot of "2D" games technically have 3D behind them for physics & perspective etc. Using the renderer of Glyph shouldn't mean it would need to be in 3D, as most of the "3Dness" would come from the collision, terrain system, projectile logic and so on. Maybe it could be some kind of hybrid but IDK.

Thank you, thats what I ve been trying to say

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look, the original Tiberian Dawn rendered things in 2D and processed 3D physics. OpenRA renders flat polygons with textures, uses 3D physics, yet the user operates in 2D. I know these things can be done. However, the game graphics will be really in 3D. However, the way you'll play will be similar to the original game, as seen at https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=46919:

Quote:
Remaster Update and Source Code

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

We hope you had a good holiday season and that your New Year is off to a positive start. On our side, pre-production is continuing in earnest and we completed our first Milestone about two weeks ago. This Milestone included many of our documentation plans for how we want to build the game, and effectively laid the foundation for the rest of our pre-production cycle. Our next step is to begin translating those plans into a first playable prototype, which will hopefully help validate many of those initial concepts.

One of those key items is how we’re going to approach the game from a technical standpoint. We know one of your core questions has been around the game engine, and we’re ready to reveal some of those details below. Now, it’s worth noting that as with all software this early – plans can change – so please understand this is a snapshot of our thinking in January 2019, and does not necessarily guarantee how the game will eventually ship.

To kick things off, one of the most important questions from the community has been the following:

Do we have access to the original source code?

We’re excited to say the short answer is “Yes.” Over the past few months we have been able to acquire the majority of the source code for both the original C&C and original Red Alert. I say majority, because what we have is not a complete archive, and it’s going to continue taking some work to validate the full re-usability of the code. Thankfully, there is no better team than the individuals at Petroglyph to go on this R&D journey.

So what does all this mean?

Well, it means we’re aiming to re-use parts of the source code to try and keep the gameplay feel as close as possible to the original games. Again, our goal is to Remaster the original gameplay, not remake it. That being said, there are many areas where the original source code just cannot deliver the quality or functionality we’re looking for in many of the supporting elements. That’s where the second piece of the puzzle comes in.

In addition to Petroglyph’s unique familiarity with the original source code, they have also spent the past 15 years optimizing their own proprietary RTS engine called GlyphX. This engine has been used to power Petroglyph’s RTS titles, and comes with many of the recent standards the community would expect from a modern RTS engine. So with that in mind, our goal is to utilize both GlyphX and the original source code to gain the combined benefits towards the Remaster.

To provide a quick example (Not guaranteed but purely for illustration purposes), imagine using the original source code to determine the charge-up behavior of the Tesla Coil, but utilizing the GlyphX Audio system to ensure the Sound FX are fully enhanced for when that Tesla Coil fires.

As you can predict, there are more details which we’ll learn as we begin to execute upon this plan. But we hope this provides some clarity in the meantime as to how we’re approaching the Remaster from a technical perspective. We’re eager to share more as we begin to prototype the software, and looking forward to hearing your comments in the thread below.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

Rivals (cxtian39)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sc remastered used 2d graphics so I double…

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just goes to show how little info we have on the game when you cant prove if its in 3d or not lol. arguments that 3d game engines can make games that look 2d or that starcraft remaster was 2d and done by the same team arent valid arguments as to what this "remaster" will be. it just shows EA likes to copy other companies. for all we know it could be 2d structures and 3d units lol.

Last edited by Mechacaseal on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol if you want to do a remake why would you call it a remaster

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reminds me a lot of the OpenRA mission selection screen

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've also got PMs from people saying that they borrowed the mission selection screen from my client.

Seems there's a standard way of doing these things.

One thing they're lacking is difficulty selection. TD didn't have that, but I hope the remaster will. RA1 had it too.

Banshee wrote:
However, the game graphics will be really in 3D.

I can't see any definite proof that they've said that the graphics will be in 3D. While GlyphX is a 3D engine, it'd be simple for PG to make a 2D renderer. Maybe you have inside information though. I'd personally also accept a 3D remaster, although I'd be worried about how TD/RA style terrain would work in 3D, without gameplay changes. Height differences, cliffs etc. couldn't affect ranges of units and such, which could feel silly in a 3D environment.

missionselect.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.29 KB
 Viewed:  2222 Time(s)

missionselect.png

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3D worked for the N64 release, so there's that.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

In that case I hope they will release "remaster" for N Switch, because I don't have a PC suitable for playing 4k 3D RTS game.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
Graion Dilach wrote:

In that case I hope they will release "remaster" for N Switch, because I don't have a PC suitable for playing 4k 3D RTS game.

I highly doubt those remasters will have high requirements, at least on the graphics side.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:
Gangster wrote:
Graion Dilach wrote:

I highly doubt those remasters will have high requirements, at least on the graphics side.

Yeah, in ten years when the RTX 2080 is the least powerful GPU you can get #Tongue
On the subject of graphics: has there been no talk of improving the atmosphere/lighting, like in TS and RA2 with the lamps?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!