Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Frontline Chaos has switched to OpenRA engine
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [1 Post] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:  Frontline Chaos has switched to OpenRA engine
Subject description: Opening(RA!!!) new horizons and new chaos in the frontline!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A month ago Dutchygamer has posted a long farewell post about his, so far Generals/Zero Hour total conversion, Frontline Chaos. A huge part of his post was quite personal, so I won't quote the whole thing here. I just hope he is able to move on with his life after all those things he mentioned there. It's quite hard to loose someone so close to us like what happened to him.

Anyway, at the end of his post, although he uses the term "Farewell" in the title of his post, he mentions that he is actually moving his project to the OpenRA engine. Here are his words on it:

Quote:
Eventually, I decided to focus on creating a single mission, and all the assets / coding that is necessary for that. This worked okay for a while, and I eventually I had a nicely scripted map with various new assets I introduced. But still... All things combined, I was getting rather worn down by it all. In the end I was doing a whole bunch of nitpicking changes I saw someplace else, but had very little actual use. Sure, train car props that are actually armoured and have decent physics are nice assets, but they don't add jack shit to the mod at the current stage.

I then had the best idea you could have at this stage: switch engines! To the OpenRA engine to be precise. Who try to emulate the feeling of oldskool 2.5D RTS engines in a 3D engine when you have an open-sourced engine that does that available? Well, besides the fact you have to learn a new style of coding, redo all your assets, be over ambitious and redo the terrain from scratch. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice learning process, but in the end it was doomed to fail. My interests had been shifting to other places over time, and I just couldn't be bothered with RTS in general.

So rather than letting it stagnate, it's better to just officially declare the project ended. I may reuse the world I designed behind the scenes for other projects, but I won't give people false hope that this project will one day see daylight.

I may be talking against a (digital) wall here with this whole story, but after all this time of not telling anyone in the modding community about this whole situation and my resulting absence, I found it high time to fix that situation. Now I can hopefully close this chapter (the project that is), and move on to the next.

In case you're still interested in what I have done in the meantime, you can check my YT channel here

Of course that the action of switching engine, in this case, nearly means restarting the whole thing from scratch. So, the "Farewell" term is not that imprecise. Finally, it is worth mentioning that you can still download the final version of this mod from its ModDB Profile.

Key Words: #News #Release #Generals #ZeroHour #OpenRA #FrontlineChaos 

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [1 Post] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!