Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:33 am
All times are UTC + 0
TMP Editing: Making your own terrain
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
GeckoYamori
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject:  TMP Editing: Making your own terrain Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TMP Editing Tutorial
Terrain artists seem very scarce in the community, I can't even name 5 people capable of doing it including me. It's really not as hard as one might think it is, all it requires is some basic knowledge of how your photo editing program works (Photoshop, PSP) and a lot of patience.

In this tutorial we will change the basic temperate clear tile into something different. What you need are the original .tem files, a texture image of your choice, and a photo editing program. In this case, we will be using Photoshop. I'm sure there are counterparts for every used feature in Paintshop Pro.

First of all, locate the clear tiles in XCC Mixer and extract them (clear01-clear01g.tem in isotem.mix).
Then open Photoshop and load the desired texture. Textures can easily be obtained from google searching or from Generals. Let's assume you want it to be the same color as the clear tile, so it blends in with everything else. Photoshop's Match Color tool is extremly useful for this (Only available in Photoshop CS and above). Open FinalSun and make a new blank map filled with the tile you want to edit, take a screenshot, paste as a new image in Photoshop and crop out an area with just the tile. Now select your texture, go to Image > Adjustments > Match Color then pick the FinalSun screenshot as the source. You should preferably lower Color Intensity down all the way.

Excellent, it is now using the same color as the tile. Now we should give the texture an isometric perspective. To do this, first go to Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary and rotate it 45 degrees either clockwise or counter-clockwise (Doesn't really matter). Then resize the image heigth down 50%. After changing it around it may lose some detail and look blurred. To fix this use the Sharpen effect. Usually it gets a bit too sharp, so use Fade Sharpen in Edit and bring it down to 20-40% or so until it looks good enough.
We're all done there now. Next we open TMP Editor which is included with XCC Utilities. Load clear01.tem, copy it, and paste as a new image in Photoshop. Now you simply select a random area from the texture and copy it over as a new layer onto the tile. It will cover some unwanted areas, this is easily fixed by simply going back to the tile layer, selecting the transparent area with the magic wand (Make sure tolerance is set to 0 and that anti-aliasing and contiguous are off), go back to the texture layer and hit delete. You may want to play around with the blending capacity after that, but that's entirely your choice. Now press CTRL+E to merge the two layers into one, and it's done!

Now just press CTRL+A to select the entire image, copy it, and paste it over the original tile in TMP Editor and save it. Now just repeat the same process (And preferably select different areas on the texture each time) on each tile until they are all changed. You'll get the hang of it soon enough and it'll be a second nature.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Terrain #TMP #Graphics #Media #TiberianSun #Firestorm #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #OpenRA #XCCUtilities #XCCTMPEditor #Photoshop 

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very good there mate, i think i might have ago at this Mr. Green

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This will likely be useful for me, I'll probably have to reinstall photoshop to do it decently though.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That bit may be easy, but the tiles that blend between terrain types are far harder to do, are they not?

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gecko told me that is just as easy Clazzy. I suppose thats where his 'patience' bit comes in. Smile

Durrandi
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, but how do we change the radar color? I know it is embedded into the tmp itself but how dost one go about doing that?

GeckoYamori
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's easy, the radar color settings for each file is in temperat.ini using the standard RGB values.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh i must play with this now then.

Durrandi
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, I put in 0,0,0 for each of them but it stills shows up white since I used a white pavement.

Jah
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Instead of Fade Sharpen, better use Unsharp mask. It gives you a fine control over amount, threshold and pixel radius of sharpness. And also instead of rotate canvas and resize image I use a free transform tool. (Ctrl+T), then hold down the shft key and you'll rotate it by 45', then apply transformation. Again Ctrl+T, hold down alt key and pull the top border of the texture down. Should be okay now.

GeckoYamori
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's hard as hell to be as precise when doing it manually.

Fellshyun
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanna try it(altough I dont know if the patient bit is possible for me Laughing )
but I dont have Paint shop pro,
i have Microsoft picture it photo studio, or something like that.
but cant find some sort of match color option, So now?

Tyler Adams
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fell King wrote:
i have Microsoft picture it photo studio, or something like that.

Ah, that must be Paint. it's standard with ALL Windows OS.

"Banned" RP here

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no its another program for some extra image editing

Vincent93
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a rotate canvas tool in psp9?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Droke
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, its called free rotate.

LEoDaBRat
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: trial or full version neccessary of Photoshop CS? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there!
I've dloaded Photoshop CS 7.0 trial version and can't find the match color tool. Actually I don't bother with it, because I want to have totally new textures for my mod. I got so dissappointed of the fact that there's no fog of war in ra2 + yr that I skipped back to Tiberian Sun Editing. also i like the fact that there's less pallettes to fuss with..   Very Happy
Ok, back to this post: I've edited it with the use of the tools mentioned, but not the same way. i left the rotation stuff out, and just took it non-rotated and copy-and-pasted the blue borders into the samesized texture image. then ctrl+e.. that worked - but not really. the clear01.tem-file had the desired texture, but all in white instead of the sand-yellow from the texture. Do I have to use the color-match tool to avoid this nasty or is it a problem with the pallette again??  Mad That's what I hate most about the pallette-issue..
If it's the pallette.. how fix it?? THANX 4 REPLIEZ!!! Rolling Eyes

ruptioner
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actualy dont worry now >>>>>

This is my first time tmp editing ive read half of the tutorial and ive got to the part were i match colours..... ive selected the source as the tile i whant to match colours with and put the color intensisty all the way down and it comes out blank.. any reason why ?

ruptioner
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the tutorial it mentions on that you rotate the picture and scale it down to 50 (pixels ) but what about the... ( up and down rotation such as when it looks like a diamond like square ) so how do we do that then ..?

ruptioner
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: No worries Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok dont worry i figured out a solution i copied the tile at an angle of 45 Degres and put it into windows paint i then sketch/skew the tiles hight of 100% to 50% then copied that back into adobe #Tongue

Fellshyun
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the ??????, Triple post.
You ever heard about a button called the edit button. (Use it)
And make it understandable, because it doesn't makes any sense.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

images are dead. maybe someone still has them archived? Or a new/better TMP tutorial?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon