Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm
All times are UTC + 0
FS Phoenix (2-3) by Muldrake
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject:  FS Phoenix (2-3) by Muldrake Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Official Tiberian Sun Submission - 2nd Place

Map Name: (FS) Phoenix
Author: Muldrake
Site: Project Perfect Mod (ppmsite.com), TiberiumSun.com
Best Rating On OMCs: <none>
Best Position On OMCs: <none>
Players: 3

Ratings:

Original Concept: 15.8%/20%
Ballance: 8.4/15%
Eye Candy: 23.6%/30%
Fun Factor: 16.0%/20%
Triggers: 12.8%/15%
-------------------------------------
Overall Score: 78.60%
Valid Score: 79.66% (SPOTLIGHTED)

Clazzy's Position: 2nd - 80.0%
Wes.com's Position: 2nd - 64.0%
The DVD's Position: 1st - 90.0% (BEST)
Python's Position: 3rd - 89.0%
Carnotaurus's Position: 4th - 70.0%
-------------------------------
Final Position: 2nd

Comments (Note: all maps were submitted to judges anonymously to avoid biased reviews, so the judges had no idea of who submitted the map):

-> Clazzy:

- 17%
- 11%
- 26%
- 12%
- 14%
= 80%

2nd Place

Comments:
Firestorm wall in the middle is a bit annoying and some sections stay on even after control centre is destroyed.
Some good detail.
Lighting is nice, but slightly too bright in parts
Lighthouse is a nice, original addition.
Tunnel work is very good (I can't even get a straight tunnel right, let alone a curved one!).
Top left blue tiberium field is inaccessible.
Bottom right base is more exposed and harder to defend.

-> Wes.com:

Original concept: 13/20
Balance: 13/15
Eyecandy: 13/30
Fun factor: 17/20
Triggers: 8/15 = 64%

build spaces to small for 2 players
good cliffwork
this map is alot of fun
there is alot to discover, the city is an nice touch
fixing a 2nd bridge makes the game crash.

-> TheDvD:

- (20%) Original Concept:
Weighted score: 20%
Category score: 100%
This is great. There is a city in the middle, protected by Firestorm walls. Signs around the city remind you that they are the city that keeps tiberium out. Cars and patrol troops are moving around in the city; a pick up truck is moving in and out, each time giving you a very short time to enter the city. There are so many things to play around with in this map. (Also see triggers) The setting of the map and the story behind it make it one of the most original maps I've seen.
- (15%) Balance:
Weighted score: 5%
Category score: 33%
This is the low scoring part of this map. The player bottomright obviously holds a large advantage, if he can keep his bridges from being repaired. Also, the bottomleft player has much less room to build his base.
- (30%) Eyecandy:
Weighted score: 30%
The detailing is perfect and looks completely natural. The lighting is just perfect. I didn't spot any terrain errors.
- (20%) Fun Factor:
Weighted score: 20%
There is so much to do! It's like a mission map, you can do a ton of things that can give you the advantage. Capturing the nod base can give you access to a blue tiberium pit, but it's wise to destroy the dam first. Just the sheer originality of this map, which makes it stand out from the crowd, makes it fun to play!
- (15%) Triggers/Scripts:
Weighted score: 15%
This is how triggers should be used. Very, VERY well done.
- (100%) Total weighted score:
20+5+30+20+15=90%

-> Python:

Original Concept: 17/20 - The map was very realistic with tons of detail and design anywhere you look.
Balance: 14/15 - The map was very balanced, with enough tiberium for all starting locations, however the building areas didn't seem fair.
EyeCandy: 26/30 - The map was very detailed and had a great looking "pit" for all that tiberium waste.  However one problem occured, when I blew up the dam, my screen froze and wouldn't let me scroll anywhere!  Game didn't freeze though.
Fun Factor: 18/20 - The city in the middle was a real fun addition to the map, not to mention the "pit" that nearly destroyed the top left enemy base.
Triggers: 14/15 - All the city triggers (Infantry Patrol, Firestorm Wall, etc. etc.) all worked great.
Overall Mark: 89%

-> Carnotaurus:

Original Concept: 12/20
Ballance: 09/15
Eye Candy: 23/30
Fun Factor: 13/20
Triggers: 13/15
---------
Score: 70/100

Original Concept: 3 Person maps are rare, but I LOVE them. Tactical oppourtunities abound in those maps. anyway, Terrain detailing is very well done. looks to be a desert, i wouldnt be shocked if this map is in Egypt. A small island is offshore, I am guessing this is a Genesis pit? and yes, Civvies! whee!
Balance: Basebuilding may start off easy, but it WILL get tight. Player in the bottom left corner is crammed in, so you should get another MCV ready.
Eyecandy: A farm! anyway, there are veinholes for each player, and an old base to the top.  Tiberium placement is ALRIGHT. it anit fantastic.
Fun Factor: Pretty interesting concept, as i said before, it just sucks ass to be crammed in a tight space.The firestorm-protected civvies is a real lame thing for us Civ-killers.
Triggers :Repair the bridges if you want. ztype with the feinds, and the civvies will retaliate. end of story. leave 'em alone.

Map ReadMe Contents:

- FS Phoenix (2-3)

Welcome to Phoenix, the latest project of the Global Defense Initiative.
The idea behind Phoenix, was to try and hold back the expansion of Tiberium. In the event that GDI's efforts to halt the expansion failed, the idea was proposed to develop shielded locations. Phoenix is a self-contained world, supplying its own food and water. Its generators provide a force shield defending the city, keeping out tiberium air-boure spores, while most of the city is lined in concrete, to prevent ground expansion. The central gardens are infact lined in a concrete basin, to prevent tiberium roots from entering. A security division has been set up to defend the main shield generators, for they are the heart of the city.

The location of the project has in itself an ironic value. The area is home to a now abandoned Nod research facility, its primary purpose was tiberium related research. The base is now abandoned, and the creatures and mutations are held back by the bases few remaining defenses. However, should its main power supply, a local dam be destroyed, the defenses can no longer be maintained, and there no idea as to what could occur from then on.

Although the new city is running, there remains a few civilian groupings in the area. Either people unable to get a place in the city, or people believing that the city merely delays the inevitable, and that the tiberium expansion should be embraced.

Phoenix started off as a two player map, (now the top left and middle right positions). However I decided to totally extend and rebuild the map, making it a 3 player map. As a result, a feel perhaps the 3rd starting position was weaker than the other two. It has less space, but I hoped it would a bit more tiberium to start off with, as well as having a more defendable patch behind it.
The city initally had a bit more complex version of its firestorm gates. It had several layered defenses, which shut off one by one, allowing various stages to keep tiberium spores out. However it used so many corners of the firestorm wall that the sound was horrendous, so I simplied it.
Something else which may have helped show that it was initially a two player map is the river running down the middle slightly. All the direct routes over the bridges (the tunnel didn't exist at first) were purposefully damaged, simply to prevent rushes. (Yes, I've had bad experiences with those). However, it results in poor AI, as they won't repair it. So, this map is mostly for multiplayer games, as opposed to skirmishes.

I may possibly work on a version to which a couple of bridges get fixed after a certain point, to allow the AI to recover. May also include a better version for the firestorm wall defense for the city.

This map was initally being worked for TSR, however I kept it unmodified for the OMC.

Enjoy!

Contestant Words When Submitting:

- Nickname: Muldrake
Forum: TiberiumSun.com and PPM (Same nick for both)
Game: TS (FS needed)
Name: Phoenix
Players: 2-3

Comment:
The Phoenix Project was developed in an attempt to hold back the tiberium
infestation, and create a sanctuary of what little remained in the area. The
firestorm wall holds back the spores, while within the centre is a garden
created in a concrete lined pit, to prevent tiberium spreading through the
ground. The project seems to be living up to its name.. so far.
There is a dam in the local vicinity which helps power the city, as well as
the remains of a Nod tiberium research facility. Thankfully, the beasts seem
to be contained on the island, and the few defenses remaining, but should
the power fail.. well lets just say I don't want to be nearby should that
day dawn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download it HERE.
This map can be mirrored by any participating site. Remember to credit the author of the map.

Tesla7zap
Stormbringer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a lovely map. I love the way you used the triggers and I really think the story is interesting and sounds like something that could have come from the WS dudes themselves =) A really inspiring map, I'm surprised this map didn't win!

Tesla - Where positive energy meets negative energy

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats Muldrake Smile

Offtopic, i still think some of the judges are poor. How can you rate this map low, it is so realistic it's scary!

Wess
TS Mapping GOD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

we cant all have the same taste DvD, but this is one of the best maps in the OMC3, and i am hard when it comes down to giving points( remember that i'm a freak when it comes down to detail), but still this is my number 2 because of the realism, something most maps lacked in this OMC imo.

BTW Congrats Muldrake, keep up the good work and pwnd the next OMC  Wink its not like Tesla cant be beaten...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little note for judges: The version posted here is an updated version of the maps you've got. There were some big fixes.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the comments guys, and Tesla's victory was well deserved. I am more than pleased with my 2nd place, especially as I did not expect to get over 5th, and that was being hopeful.

I must say that I've seen some of the best maps submitted for any OMC, and I think that everyone has done a fantastic job. I have particular favourites, but none really stand out as bad to me. I think everyone who entered should be congratulated.

Thanks for noticing the lighthouse, Clazzy Wink
Thanks for the high ranking DvD, well, thank you to all the judges for my reviews.

I better explain the two errors judges got:

1) The Dam. When destroyed, it shut off power to the Nod research base. This releases tiberium creatures, floaters are the only ones garenteed to come off the map. There are 6 floaters in total, and upon releasing 2 head to each base, so be careful. The error was I tried to have the screen move over to the island, however this didn't work, and caused the screen to lock up. I had it working successfully before, but I'm not sure how. I'm looking into it, but currently I've disabled it.

2) The bridge. I tried to have a trigger which was activated when any house repaired the bridge (entered bridge repair hut), this would then activate a new truck route going over the bridge from the city.
I thought I tested it, but I obviously didn't. For this I'm sorry. I can't seem to get triggers to work which either house enters (captures).
Currently I've dropped this idea, and simply have a new truck route working on the right side of the river.

I'm currently working on a tweaked version, adding bits I wanted to add, and working on comments recieved, and correcting errors.
Examples include:
Better City Shield - When deactivated, all of the shield goes down, not just the main bit.
Bridge Repair - The two central bridges will be repaired at a random interval during the game. Late enough to stop rushes, but hopefully early enough that its useful.
Correcting Existing Errors - Dam and Bridge, Top Left Blue Tib Patch now accessable.
Balance - Adding a bit more tiberium to the two lower positions, to help balance out lack of space, and poor defending. (Although I had tried to balance this out in the original release, just keeping a bit of variety.)

I want to test it first, (this is the beauty now, I can show others and get their opinions). I hope to release it soon.
I don't know if it can be used as a replacement to the one released for the map pack, or if it'll just have to be seperate.

EDIT: The refined version of Phoenix. Its a shame of the stupid trigger errors, one of them concealed one the main features I worked on. The nod research facility.

Enjoy!

FS Phoenix II (2-3).mpr
 Description:
Refined Phoenix

Download
 Filename:  FS Phoenix II (2-3).mpr
 Filesize:  324.7 KB
 Downloaded:  276 Time(s)

yoursoluckyimcute
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the map is awsome i agree how could the judges rate it so low

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon