Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm
All times are UTC + 0
(Updated) Invader Teleporter
Moderators: EVA-251
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:  (Updated) Invader Teleporter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you heard me, the first building for Star Strike!
It is the Invader Teleporter.

So far it has no snow, active damage frames, or build up. But I am soon to be taking care of the first 2 soon.
It does animate, and has a cameo and when it is done, when idle will make a droning sound, and have particle flashes

-Original bright version made in MS Paint.
-Cameo made in Wally, Quake Texture Editor
-Detailed and animated in OS Shp Builder 3.34

What do you think?

AlienTele.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.35 KB
 Viewed:  13298 Time(s)

AlienTele.PNG

Last edited by EVA-251 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:37 am; edited 5 times in total

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's pretty good for a first attempt. Are the blue spots on the side gonna be animated lights?
In the ingame shot, the blue color in the middle is a bit too bright; it kinda sticks out so you might want to keep it close to the same shades as the surrounding area.

Now on ModDB!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is supposed to be brighter, it is flash of light inside the teleporter.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL, A massive bump on my part, but it is my topic and my mod, and I can do that.

Here is the updated Alien Teleporter- It has not received in-game testing, but when it does, I will try to correct flaws in it for the next release.

AlienBrcksRedo.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.03 KB
 Viewed:  13011 Time(s)

AlienBrcksRedo.PNG

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's better, definitelly. But still kinda artificial.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How is it artificial? How can this be remedied?

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Epic 2 year bump! Laughing

This is my latest project, right now this is WIP.
I would like some feedback on this before I finalize the model. (I would really hate to re-do the skins for build-up)

Programs used:
GIMP
QME 3.0

InvaderTeleport.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.95 KB
 Viewed:  11855 Time(s)

InvaderTeleport.png

Apex
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow that looks a hell of alot better! The area where the portal and ramp touch seems abit odd though

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very, very nice. I would suggest moving the ramp to the edge of the "foundation", since it looks strange...somehow.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A large preview of the build-up animation.
Feedback appreciated.

I smoothened the transition from the telepad to the exit ramp.

EDIT- Added looping version, and clarification- the speckle effect in some of the images was caused by MS Gif Animator, not by the 19 seperate skins used to create this animation.

InvaderTeleMK.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  345.64 KB
 Viewed:  11789 Time(s)

InvaderTeleMK.gif

Last edited by EVA-251 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it... It has something strange about it and it looks like something no army on earth would build.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lt Albrecht wrote:
I like it... It has something strange about it and it looks like something no army should ever build.

Fixed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you just dislike this mod or did you forget your morning caffeine?

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pinapples make people nasty from the pain.

Besides that I do think its rather cool, the ramp just needs a flat bit just before it connects to the portal, will make it more profetional.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should get 3dsmax and get better textures. The overall idea is nice, but you have a lot to work on.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
Troll Troll Troll

Fixed.

Moving on...
Lt- Good thing, they aren't exactly from Earth. #Tongue

L()KI- I added a slight transition between the ramp and the portal; it should be visible near the end of the buildup. Should I widen it?

Gosho- For the two meanings of "get" I know in this context, neither are possible for me. #Tongue

I have GMAX, Blender and QME, but I use QME as it has the most user-friendly interface.

So, what improvements would you like to see? Some, like enhanced textures would get lost in conversion, as the building is only 2x2.

Currently I have two active-animations, one of which I plan to use as a production animation (if it is possible for barracks type buildings).

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea I think just widen it a little. Idea: maybe put 2 lights on the edges of the transition.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EVA-251 wrote:
IcySon55 wrote:
Troll Troll Troll

Fixed.

A forum.. usually used to post and critique works. My quote was one such obvious critique that what you have made is repulsive in every way. If you don't want your shit critiqued, don't post it.

All critique no matter how nasty, is just that, critique. Just because I have nothing good to say (because there is nothing good), doesn't mean it's a troll. You just shrug it off because it's easier that way.

Lame.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any hints on what TO do rather than what NOT to do in your opinion? And don't say bin it, start again or a sarcastic comment involving lemmings and suicide (even D got banned for that).

MT
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TO? You mean Star Strike?

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lt Albrecht wrote:
Any hints on what TO do rather than what NOT to do in your opinion?

Since EVA says he has no access to other modeling tools, his best option is to actually take the time to learn Blender properly, and create something worthwhile. Quake Model Editor will never give you something good, no matter how long you work on it.

Example of what to do right: http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21250

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Basically become very good at 3d very fast? That is a tall order and even you didn't do it *cough* *fouryearsoflearning* *cough*

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
EVA-251 wrote:
IcySon55 wrote:
Troll Troll Troll

Fixed.

A forum.. usually used to post and critique works. My quote was one such obvious critique that what you have made is repulsive in every way. If you don't want your shit critiqued, don't post it.

All critique no matter how nasty, is just that, critique. Just because I have nothing good to say (because there is nothing good), doesn't mean it's a troll. You just shrug it off because it's easier that way.

Lame.

And there are differing types of critique, and some have no value; one that has value is called "Constructive", which your post was not in any way.

Nothing is accomplished but a show of disdain or aggression with a post such as yours. No problems were pointed out, no issues were raised, no suggestions were given. You merely posted something inflammatory to provoke a response from others and myself, which is pretty much trolling.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lt Albrecht wrote:
Basically become very good at 3d very fast?

Who said anything about speed? How about start learning now to possibly get good at it?

EVA-251 wrote:
No problems were pointed out, no issues were raised, no suggestions were given. You merely posted something inflammatory to provoke a response from others and myself, which is pretty much trolling.

- Hideously low resolution textures.
- Simply horrible scale-up build-up.
- Usage of the Quake Model Editor.
- No real renderer, thus: no shadows, no shading = terrible.
- Even a screen-capture from GMax would look better than this.

Happy? #Tongue

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
Lt Albrecht wrote:
Basically become very good at 3d very fast?

Who said anything about speed? How about start learning now to possibly get good at it?

EVA-251 wrote:
No problems were pointed out, no issues were raised, no suggestions were given. You merely posted something inflammatory to provoke a response from others and myself, which is pretty much trolling.

- Hideously low resolution textures.
- Simply horrible scale-up build-up.
- Usage of the Quake Model Editor.
- No real renderer, thus: no shadows, no shading = terrible.
- Even a screen-capture from GMax would look better than this.

Happy? #Tongue

Well, as happy as one can be when they are told their work is shit.

Anyways, I never imagined the resolution of the textures to be relevant here, as it is getting scaled down quite a bit, and getting an anti-aliasing treatment during conversion. (I have converted it several times, actually)

The buildup is simply the style of the Invaders, mind you I am considering complicating the animation. (start small at blue, fade to white, scale to normal, fade to textured is what it is now)

As for QME, I use it merely for the fact it is user-friendly. Programs like Blender, are about as friendly to users as Hitler was to other races.

I understand the lack of a render being concerning, but shadowing is something I can decently on my own.

Lastly, how would GMAX make it better? Some of this is actually because the Invader Teleporter is quite a bit simpler than most other Invader buildings.

*I am trying to learn Blender, but my above statement about it holds true.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EVA-251 wrote:
*I am trying to learn Blender, but my above statement about it holds true.

If you keep at it, you'll get there eventually. Nothing was ever accomplished by quitters. The archived mods section here is partial proof to that.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did I just skip nearly ten posts of failure?

MT
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EVA-251 wrote:
As for QME, I use it merely for the fact it is user-friendly. Programs like Blender, are about as friendly to users as Hitler was to other races.

Lol. It seemed that way at first to me, but all it takes are a few tutorials and some practice to get used to.
And remember; the sooner you start, the sooner you'll get used to it Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon