Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:09 am
All times are UTC + 0
Blender templates [TD/RA & TS & RA2]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 5 [207 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject:  Blender templates [TD/RA & TS & RA2]
Subject description: Newest Cycles version 1.02
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since the Blender render template has reached the point where it can do everything that 3ds max does: render assets without AA against background and shadows separately. Also it can used to render animations as well. However, the workout with that is little more difficult since you have to either render both the model and the shadow into separated folders and use the video editor to create a sequence that includes them both or duplicate the animation frames for both, but I'll look into that in the future.

I require feedback and testing.

So, how to use:
1. Open the template.
2. Append your model (Shift-F1): modelfilename.blend\Object\ Select all except camera and light.
3. Move your model in YX axis so the model is above X and below Y. The zero point is the same as the zero point in SHP builder (sprite's "top corner").
4. To render model: go to Text editor and select Render.object from the list and click Run Script and hit Render. F3 to save the image.
4. To render buildup: go to Text editor and select Render.buildup from the list and click Run Script and hit Render.
5. To render shadows: go to Text editor and select Render.shadows from the list and click Run Script and hit Render.
6. To render preview image: go to Text editor and select Reset from the list and click Run Script and hit Render.

Note: 1 cell = 2 Blender units

Cycles version 1.02:
-Smoother AA, was quite sharp
-Improved lighting
-Added Denoiser (requires Blender versio 2.79)
-Added background texture to give more realistic touch with the materials and blue tint for glossy materials
-Fixed shadow cast on objects by removing a node that broke it and added gamma node to correct brightness/shadow ratio
-Fixed grainy shadow frames which also had dark blue colors
-Fixed lighting affecting other scenes (thanks to Blender Foundation) (requires Blender versio 2.79)

CnC Version 2.11
-Fixed run script error caused by wrongly named Switch node

Tip
-By default Blender has a bit blurry texture filter which makes some texture details hard to see.
This can be fixed by setting all your texture 'Filter Size:' to 0.6 in Texture > Image Sampling.

Licence: You freely to make changes of this template to match your needs.
You can use scene settings as a reference to create your own template.
You can distribute the template with your changes (please let me know what kind of changes you've done, I'm curious Wink .)
Please credit when used.

Also stickied because I want to attract more people to use Blender to create more C&C assets and don't want it to disappear and be forgotten during time.

civ_guardtower_render07.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.57 KB
 Viewed:  40747 Time(s)

civ_guardtower_render07.png

CnC_template2_11.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CnC_template2_11.zip
 Filesize:  195.95 KB
 Downloaded:  719 Time(s)

CnC_cycles1_02beta.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CnC_cycles1_02beta.zip
 Filesize:  236.14 KB
 Downloaded:  437 Time(s)

Last edited by DonutArnold on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:39 am; edited 29 times in total

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see there's like 7 downloads, but no comments?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work. Can I have that tower in SHP format? #Tongue

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

12 downloads and still no comments from the template users.

@Aro: Haha, thanks! Is it ok even if it'll be public asset?

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I use lightwave so I will need to either find one for LW, create my own or port to blender. Might check this out as an example to see about making a LW version if that's ok?
I'll check it out soon

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Added RA2 template and updated TS template.

@Rice: Feel free to use it as you like. Smile

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you post that tower in SHP format and RA2 size please?

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I noticed that the current lighting might be a bit off and the edge anti-aliasing removing removes too much detail so I'll try to come up with a better solution. Any feedback?

@Parasite03: Why not give a shot by yourself? Smile (See attached file)

civ_guardtower.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  civ_guardtower.zip
 Filesize:  247.08 KB
 Downloaded:  146 Time(s)

Chronosfera
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am just starting with Blender and your script was exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Chronosfera: That's good to know, I'm glad that more people are using this Smile

I need more feedback or otherwise I won't release version 1.07 Wink
What do you people think of combining RA2 and TS settings in one template where you just need to use script to toggle between RA2 and TS camera and lighting setup? Smile

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a year I believe since this was posted and until now I haven't got my hands yet in Blender but yeah I'll do my best to make such buildings and infantries via Blender once I got enough time to buy myself HAHA

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Donut, yes please combine the two! You could even possibly put them onto separate blender layers.

3ds Topic
Clicky

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@DarkVen9109: insteresting, a year ago? Very Happy

Quote:
Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:21 pm

@Palkia323: Realized that I just could use different scenes to achieve that same goal. Well, updated the first post for results.

Chrono
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second the idea of combining the two. Do the two differ only by camera distance to account for the tile size?

As for feedback, I have not encountered any problems yet in the process of learning 3D modeling/ Blender/ and using the script all at once. I could post my (embarrassingly rudimentary) attempts here if that may help you diagnose performance.

As an aside, I was wondering if you would be open to posting more Blender models appended in the scene as learning material for a beginner such as myself. I would be interested to know how turrets and building animations etc. are dealt with.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Chrono: The difference is camera distance and different lighting.

Well, post anything that would be useful for developing this template and helping with usage. Smile

I think I might include appended models with animations in the future... Or in a different template .blend file.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice little observation, you can use material 'Pass index: 1' for an object to hide anything behind it and yet it doesn't cause any AA.

civ_guardtower_render09.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.84 KB
 Viewed:  39783 Time(s)

civ_guardtower_render09.png

civ_guardtower_render08.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.35 KB
 Viewed:  39783 Time(s)

civ_guardtower_render08.png

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice find Donut, thanks!
3D clipping sounds like a headache already. #Tongue

3ds Topic
Clicky

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold wrote:
@DarkVen9109: insteresting, a year ago? Very Happy

Quote:
Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:21 pm

@Palkia323: Realized that I just could use different scenes to achieve that same goal. Well, updated the first post for results.

DonutArnold: LOL!! It really felt like it was just years already. I left and forgot my responsibility as I modder. I feel like I can't do it. But I'll do my best. I'll just look for some helpful tuts in YouTube.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold wrote:
@Aro: Haha, thanks! Is it ok even if it'll be public asset?

I'm really late for the response, but yes. #Tongue

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been playing with this a bit so I figure I'll just leave this here. I probably won't make this into a SHP since I don't need it, I was just experimenting.

dome.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.09 KB
 Viewed:  38693 Time(s)

dome.png

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice modelling, Darkstorm Very Happy

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any chance a template for RA/TD will be made some time soon? It would be very helpful for modding OpenRA.

@deathreaperz: I like the model, but I'm not too fond of the texturing. In time, I may be able to make some actual textures with GIMP. Right now I just textured each piece with a solid color.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazing, I was just going to ask the same question regarding a template for RA/TD, just not with OpenRA in mind.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haven't thought about RA/TD much, but since you ask for it I'll take a look at it. Could you tell me what kind of specifications does it require?

@Darkstorm: How's the usability and do you have any ideas for general improvements?

It's nice to see you guys using the template, keep it up! Smile

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's quite helpful, I'm just a beginner modeller so quality is bleh. I don't quite understand how buildups and animations are suppose to work, are you just suppose to render frame individually?

As for RA/TD requirements, I figure the biggest difference is the camera change since RA/TD is more vertical than TS/RA2 but not totally. Other than that, I'm not quite sure.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TP came up with great specs for RA/TD.

Also, while working with RA/TD template setting I noticed that there's a bloody wrong mistake with general lighting settings that I haven't fixed that caused lights to overlap scenes. It's now fixed in the next version and will upload it as soon as the RA/TD scene is done.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little sneak peak Wink

Has potential for a possible Red Alert High-Definition 2D project.

ra_test01_render01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.35 KB
 Viewed:  38490 Time(s)

ra_test01_render01.png

ra_test01_render02.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.13 KB
 Viewed:  38490 Time(s)

ra_test01_render02.png

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks pretty cool. I think it is still a bit off in perspective though. It's less noticeable for the silos but the barracks definitely looks off, still, it's probably close enough for buildings at least. The real test is whether units will fit.

comp2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.11 KB
 Viewed:  38468 Time(s)

comp2.png

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think part of the problem may be that the perspective might not be consistent across the graphics in RA and TD anyhow making it difficult for a generic template to match all the original stuff.

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darkstorm wrote:
That looks pretty cool. I think it is still a bit off in perspective though. It's less noticeable for the silos but the barracks definitely looks off, still, it's probably close enough for buildings at least. The real test is whether units will fit.

The problem is WW used a perspective camera not a orthographic(isometric) camera, and they rendered stuff from all over the camera view, they didn't place most of the stuff in the center of the camera, thus everything has different perspectives even the units.

The white dot for example is where the RA War Factory would be in this camera setup to match the perspective lines of the original

The area where the repair pad behind the Barracks is is where the RA conyard would be based on the perspective lines.

You can't really get it exactly right without knowing WW's camera settings and building placements relative to the camera, just approximates.

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for you input guys! I tuned the FOV a bit since it's value actually wasn't enough high.

@TP: Didn't know that WW rendered them in such a retarded way giving every building and unit different off perspective Very Happy

ra_test01_render06.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.56 KB
 Viewed:  38431 Time(s)

ra_test01_render06.png

BySc
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the problem I know it's not out of place here, but, is there a way to w3d files from the blender

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So we just need someone to spend some time mapping out where all the buildings and units in RA and TD were rendered from then right Wink

Regarding the off topic w3d question, a google for "export w3d files from blender" suggests its not possible, at least not well enough you can use blender for that kind of dev. Next time, start your own topic when you have a question that isn't relevant to the current discussion.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At least all the vehicles seem to use the same perspective. The buildings are just kind of weird, although it probably only sticks out because you've recreated what already exists. If you made new buildings at a single perspective, they probably wouldn't look so out of place.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, I've released version 2.01beta, check the first post for version changes. It also has isometric (orthographic) camera for terrain rendering.

@Darkstorm: I made those just for a reference to match camera and lighting settings. Top of the repair paid is the "zero point" which the camera targets.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just released version 2.02beta which added new feature to scale output canvas which speeds up post-work that requires canvas scaling. Also fixed shadows that didn't appear at all or had wrong contrast.

Note: this template stays beta until it is properly tested by public.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do I get more than one frame? And how do I keep the models texture on?*edit* forgot to mention, I'm working in TD/RA

everything else is working liek a charm : D

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

Last edited by Zengar_Zombolt on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@DonutArnold: Again, great template.
Today I downloaded the latest version to find that you have included a nice readme along with render scripts (including a reset!).

Would it be possible for you to put this on github (or would you be alright with me doing so?) so other may have easier access to it?

A note I'd like to point out: In the README you state "Select correct template scene (Tiberian Sun or Red Aert 2 or Red Alert / Tiberian Dawn)" which even as an avid Blender user, I was not quite able to understand, though I did eventually figure out that it is in the Outliner as the top-level node.

Either way this is fantastic and I've had nothing but a good time using it, keep up the excellent work.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for testing and feedback! Smile

@Zengar_Zombolt: For texture: http://youtu.be/Ix6_j-PMtSE?t=2m9s And for more frames, check the attached pic.

@Phrohdoh: I'm not currently using github, so it's ok if you could put it there. And I'll write the instructions to find the correct scene better.

blender_render01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.93 KB
 Viewed:  38146 Time(s)

blender_render01.png

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I mean is I have a texture, but it does not show up on the render, like pic

And do I have to manually turn the model to get the rest of the frames? It may get annoying to make TD/RA/ORA stuff

But everything else is rolling fantasticaly!

untitled.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.9 KB
 Viewed:  38128 Time(s)

untitled.png

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Zengar_Zombolt: Create an empty, then on your actual object apply a ChildOf constraint that references your empty.

Then make keyframes where necessary and rotate the empty instead of your object.

Check the attached example scene.

@DonutArnold, thanks! I'll include that image in the readme too. Which license should I put on the code?

Here is the github link.

example.zip
 Description:
Example with empty.

Download
 Filename:  example.zip
 Filesize:  116.29 KB
 Downloaded:  63 Time(s)

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I;ve gotten further, Textures work, and I have the child of set up.

Okay I have the Animation and texture working, How do I get it from the Renderer to a file type I can Pop into somehting Shp-full?

glepnir.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.54 KB
 Viewed:  38103 Time(s)

glepnir.png

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You will want to render the animation (make sure you set the output directory), then use OpenRA.Utility to convert a list of PNGs into a SHP, given you also have the palette file to use.

Or use any other method to convert png -> shp.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What happened to my comment that the OpenRA code for generating TD/RA shp files was (as far as I can tell) the worst option out of that, XCC and Red Horizon Tools? Database error or silent moderation? I felt it provided valid information for people deciding what tools to use.
For the record, the reason the OpenRA encoder isn't the best choice is that it doesn't attempt to implement LCW(Format80) compression correctly (as far as I can tell in the code anyhow, feel free to correct me), it's just a quick placeholder implementation that implements the simplest commands and leads to larger files than neccessary.
XCC and Red Horizon try and implement it fully (though XCC at least doesn't match the original WW encoder in efficiency). None of them seem to implement XORDelta(format40) for shp files at all so no tool that I'm currently aware of does it correctly as the WW tools did, preferring an attitude of "it works" rather than "it does it correctly" it seems.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

D'oh! So silent moderation then Wink

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My apologies, didn't realize that not everyone uses "View posts since last visit" or "View your posts" from top right of the site. Next time will provide better moderation and leave a notification in the topic where the posts were split.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to check, are you guys satisfied with the template? And is there something you wish to change or add or fix?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 5 [207 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon